Build a Bee House
Homes for Bees
Guidelines kindly provided by Max Coleman from The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
- Select seven paper straws cut to various lengths and seal one end on each with a ball of cotton wool.
- Hold the straws together in a bundle with tape, making sure all the sealed ends are flush and together. The open ends should not be level.
Tips for success: Location, Location, Location
- Find the sunniest spot you can for your bee house. South facing is perfect.
- Place the bee house on a solid surface, but not on the ground. A windowsill is ideal.
- Angle the straws so the open ends face the sun and fix or wedge into position so the bee house does not move.
- Do not suspend the bee house. The movement will confuse the bees you are trying to attract.