Photo Credit: VisitScotland / Airborne Lens
UNESCO National Trail of Scotland
DISCOUNTED MEMBERSHIP OFFER
Scotland’s UNESCO Trail is a new digital trail connecting 13 place-based UNESCO designations across Scotland.
Responsible tourism is the beating heart of this project. The aim is to ensure that Scotland’s UNESCO Trail celebrates and prioritises businesses and communities that are committed to responsible tourism practices, increases understanding of the UNESCO values and encourages visitors to stay longer and explore more of what Scotland has to offer.
Funding is available for those eligible businesses located within a UNESCO Trail postcode area. The option of 1 year's fully funded membership or 50% funded membership is available depending on your eligibility. There is a further 50% discount available for membership fees in years two and three, these will automatically renew at the end of the first and second year of membership. *
Membership of Green Tourism will show the world that your business takes environmental considerations seriously and is taking practical steps to tackle issues such as energy efficiency, water saving and mindful waste reduction. All of which are in line with the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals and UNESCO values.
Benefits of Green Tourism accreditation:
Demonstrate your commitment to sustainability
Improve sustainability performance
Help grow your business
Free expert advice and support
Simple online process
Achieve a Green Tourism award
Listing on our website
Key opportunities linked to the UNESCO National Trail of Scotland
Access to brand new digital assets
Businessess will receive access to a range of digital assets this includes dedicated webpages hosted on VisitScotland.com, new itineraries, and Scotland’s UNESCO Trail videos. All the digital assets are supported by an awe-inspiring suite of imagery and are available for use across industry websites and channel marketing activity.
Promotion of responsible tourism businesses and their communities
VisitScotland will highlight businesses that are working in a sustainable and responsible way through their business listing. This will raise the profile of the business and ensure that, through their operational practices and internal culture, that they are addressing climate change, by supporting the responsible tourism ambition to have thriving communities whilst encouraging the protection of the natural and cultural heritage of the designation.
Who can receive funding? Micro, small and SME businesses within the tourism sector are eligible for discounted membership in line with Green Tourism eligibility requirements.
- Non-tourism businesses
- Non-micro businesses, non-small business, and non-SME businesses
- Lapsed members of a Sustainability Certification Scheme Providers’ Scheme who cancelled their membership on or after 1 November 2021.
- Local authority or public body owned, or managed businesses Supply chain businesses for events and tourism sectors (e.g., florists, caterers, photographers, chauffeur, taxi services, etc.).
- An individual event or multiple set of connected events.
- Venues that are not open for booking by members of the public (i.e., an exclusive member-only organisation venue).
- Transport providers without a tourism product (i.e., coach hire, car hire, taxi services, boat hire, ferry operators)
- Large educational establishments such as schools, colleges, and universities.
- Non-tourism accommodation (non-tourism hostels, workers accommodation and long term lets).
Membership is available to non eligible businesses who are within a UNESCO Trail postcode area of 50% off annual membership fees in year 1, 2 and 3.
GREEN TOURISM STANDARD IS ACHIEVED AT GOLD, SILVER OR BRONZE
Green Tourism Standard is achieved at Gold, Silver or Bronze. Preparing for your assessment is processed completely online through our GreenCheck™ platform
Professional and knowledgeable sustainability assessors on hand
Access 24/7 to complete when convenient for you
On-going online support and advice for continuous improvement
Submit for your assessment whenever you are ready
Our Green Meetings Standard is also available for venues and those primarily focussed on meetings and events.
"We are delighted to be awarded the Gold Star Award from Green Tourism. It is such an honour to be the first hotel to achieve such an accolade and shows the commitment and hard work of the team here to the community and the environment.”
Best Western Kings Manor Hotel
"We are proud to have been awarded Green Tourism highest 'Gold' level of accreditation, and seek to at least maintain this high standard whilst always looking for ways to improve our guests' experience.”
Deborah and Steve Macken, East Cambusmoon Holiday Cottages
NOTE: Click ‘REQUEST INVOICE’ to get started
SOME BUSINESSES SIGNED UP TO THE GREEN TOURISM STANDARD
CASE STUDY: J P Orkney
At JP Orkney, sustainability underpins everything they do, both in their home life and in business. Based in Birsay on Orkney, they create fabulous treats including tablet, chocolate brownies, jams and preserves, all with a focus on locally-sourced and in-season ingredients.
*Terms and Conditions
- Year 1 funding will be fully funded per eligible business within a UNESCO Trail postcode area inclusive of VAT.
- The funding is for membership of Green Tourism or Green Meeting Standard only and cannot be used against joint membership
- This funding is not available for a current Green Tourism or Green Meetings Member or any member who has left the programme on or after 1st November 2021.
- Membership will automatically renew with the following discounts – Year 2 & 3 – 50% Discount Off Annual Membership Fees
- This offer cannot be used in conjunction with other preferred rates.
- Membership is available to non eligible businesses who are within a UNESCO trail postcode area of 50% of annual membership fees in year 1, 2 and 3.