JOIN US IN DECLARING
A CLIMATE EMERGENCY
We've signed the Tourism Declares a Climate Emergency declaration and we encourage our Green Tourism partners to do the same
For more than 25 years we have been at the forefront of promoting sustainable tourism.
During this time, we have helped to guide, support, and advise thousands of businesses in the tourism sector to reduce their environmental impact. And our awards certification programme is acknowledged worldwide as an indicator of good, environmentally friendly practice, acting as a hallmark of sustainable tourism across the globe.
With the backdrop of Scotland hosting COP26 in November this year and the UK and US’s recent commitments to addressing the climate emergency, we recognise that it is now more important than ever for those of us in the travel sector to drive forward and implement sustainable practices to reduce our environmental impacts.
As a signatory of Tourism Declares we have committed to the following:
- We will develop a ‘Climate Action Plan’ within the next 3 months, which sets out our intentions to reduce carbon emissions by 2030. As part of our own strategic goals, we have already implemented actions to scale-up climate action throughout our organisation and developed new assessment methods that work to reduce our carbon emissions.
- We will make public our Climate Emergency Declaration and our Climate Action Plan and share regular progress updates with our partners, network and the wider public.
- We accept the current IPCC advice stating the need to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030 to keep the planet within 1.5 degrees of warming. We will ensure our ‘Climate Action Plan’ works to achieve this as a minimum, through delivering transparent, and measurable, reductions in our carbon emissions.
- We will work with and encourage our stakeholders to make the same declaration; sharing best practice amongst peers; and actively participate in the Tourism Declares community.
- We will advocate for change. We recognise the need for system change across the tourism industry and we will strive to contribute to, and support, a just transition towards net-zero carbon tourism.
As such we are proud to join Tourism Declares a Climate Emergency: An initiative that supports tourism businesses, organisations and individuals in declaring a climate emergency. By encouraging purposeful action to reduce carbon emissions as per the advice from The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030.
See the Green Tourism Climate Emergency Plan >>
MAKE YOUR DECLARATION
Over the course of 2021 we want to inspire as many of our partners to make the same commitment by declaring, developing, and publishing their own plans. We therefore encourage anyone working in the tourism sector to declare, either as a company, organisation or individual.
As part of your declaration, you will be committing to publishing a Climate Action Plan within 12 months. We can help you to develop your Action Plan to meet this commitment and in doing so you will gain credit towards your Green Tourism Assessment.
HOW TO DO IT!
Download our declaration form and complete it – Add your own logo or company name alongside Green Tourism & Tourism Declares. Or use the content on a webpage with our logos
DOWNLOAD OUR DECLARATION FORM >>
Visit the Tourism Declares website and sign-up – You must sign-up to this before displaying anything on your site
Display your declaration on your website – Upload the declaration to your own website
Share your commitment on social media – Tell all your colleagues and customers what you are pledging via social media